Friday, December 3, 2010

I Kow Better Than You

Over the years of ministry, I have watched pastors, boards, lay leadership at various levels, and people within the body as to how they come to decisions. This includes myself. This is the read I get, "I know better than you and I don't care what you think!"

People just don't like being less than someone else. Pastors and leaders think they know better because of their positions and roles. People think they know better because of their own study and experience. When this takes place there comes a paralysis that will not allow the body to grow and become what the Lord wants.

The fact is that the others may well know better than me some times. And I may know better than them some times. The key is "mutual submission" that allows me to hear from the Lord through others. We get stuck in our own world, our own perspective, our own agendas.

Really there is only one agenda and its the Lord's. What we have to figure out is how do we all get on the same page. Mutual submission is required. It is actively listening to one another understanding that God can work through others as well. It is not thinking "more highly of ourselves" as we ought to think. It is respecting differing view points and working together to see the Lord glorified.

Mutual submission is the leveling agent.

No comments: