Monday, April 10, 2017

Being Number One

As long as the world has existed there is this drive in people and nations to be number one. We see the world powers positioning themselves to show their dominance.  We see those not in power trying to put themselves in a position to move toward dominance.  Why is that?  Why do we need to be number one? Doesn't go back to the beginning in Genesis as Adam wanted to "like" God? Or Cain furious that his offering was not acceptable and kills his brother - his rival? Or the tower of Babel. Or Jacob and Esau. The stories go on.  Because of our sin nature we think about ourselves and as Richard Miller said, "I am the main character in my movie."  So, we do everything in our power to dominate, to be at the top of pyramid and then we are still not satisfied.
Psalm 131, "My heart is not proud, O Lord, my eyes are not haughty; I do not concern myself with great matters or things too wonderful for me.  But I have stilled and quieted my soul; like a weaned child with its mother, like a weaned child in my soul with me. O Israel, put your hope in the Lord both now and forevermore." NIV
As long as we are proud we will strive and our souls with not be still and quiet.  As long as we are proud our hope is in ourselves and not in the Lord. This is the way of the world and we see the results.
This Psalm speaks to me, because I have been that person. Humility has not been my way of life.
Verse 1b, "I do not concern myself with great matters or things too wonderful for me." This speaks of things that are beyond our understanding.  In other words, "I don't have to know it all, nor will I ever know it all" and thats okay.  What matters is that I place my hope in the Lord. 

No comments: